Skip to main content

Happy Holidays 2014

Happy Holidays from the Tsai family, 2014! 


Dear family and friends,

Another wonderful year has just passed. In February, our daughter's family pleasantly surprised Li-Fang by flying into town on her birthday. In March, Melinda departed to begin her full-time missionary service in Australia, while Joshua arrived home from Australia in June. During the summer we took a quick trip to the Hill Cumorah Pageant. In August, we enjoyed a really fun trip out West, featuring special tours of San Diego and Las Vegas. We were able to visit some really good friends from our past in Taiwan and Missouri and enjoy a fun reunion with our Chinese Branch friends. But most of the time, we relaxed with our families in California and Utah. We actually managed to hold a couple of Family Tree gatherings. Once we recorded the answers from Grandpa and Grandma in response to questions posed to them about their past. Another time, we learned how Li-Fang's brother traveled to China to find more clues about the family genealogy and history. We even held a family barbecue at Provo Canyon. In November, Jonathan surprised us with a very quick job interview visit. Now, here are our own individual thoughts about the past year.


In January, I started working part time with an SAT preparation company. The pay is not exorbitant, but I do enjoy working with kids. I also had the opportunity of organizing an organ workshop, in which over 200 people attended. In church, I went from being a Primary (ages 8-11) teacher to a youth Sunday School teacher. Although Li-Fang and I both took a temporary leave of absence from the Mormon Choir of Greater Washington, my choir schedule actually has increased this fall. Instead, I have participated in our Stake Conference Choir, a Chinese Men's Choir, and a special Chinese Christmas Choir (which will debut during the Washington DC Temple Festival of Lights on Christmas Eve this year). We look forward to return to the Mormon Choir in 2015. Looking back, I am grateful for a productive fun year.
During this season of celebrating Jesus' birth, I reminisce that on the night before He was born, all of the inns were closed because the humble manger was the only place that received His coming. Children, each of us is like an inn. I hope that every day we can make some room in our hearts to accept and follow the teachings of Jesus Christ and the prophets. Today it is even more true that we need to be "in the world and not of the world." We need to rid our homes of all unnecessary clutter, so that we can make our homes clean as a temple and so that Holy Spirit can abide with us to protect us and help us not to depart from His way.

I am grateful for the restoration of the true gospel. I am grateful to be able to grow up in this Gospel. I thank the Lord Jesus Christ did for his atoning sacrifice. I am grateful to know that if there is no Savior, the plan of salvation would not be complete, mankind could not be saved, and this life would have been in vain. I really like all of the verses in 2 Nephi Chapter 2 that the principles of salvation, opposition, Creation, and free agency. This chapter clarifies the importance of the careful choice of Adam and Eve and the probationary period of mortals in the flesh.

To quote a few words: "I would that ye should look to the great Mediator, and hearken unto his great commandments; and be faithful unto his words, and choose eternal life, according to the will of his Holy Spirit. And not choose eternal death, according to the will of the flesh and the evil which is therein." (2 Nephi 2:28-29)

2014 Christmas reflections
It has been a fun year with Blake growing way too fast! He passed his 18 month mark in October and is VERY curious about everything! We are very lucky though because he is so friendly with others (maybe sometimes a little too friendly haha) and pretty easy to take care of.

Henry is still working at NuSkin and also taking online classes. He's doing a great job providing for our little family. :)

Jessica JUST started as a Jamberry Nails consultant! If you like doing your nails, you should contact her because it is super fun! We will not advertise any more about it here, since it is our Christmas letter. But seriously, she is just so excited about it. :)

We look forward to what 2015 brings!
I am finally finishing up my last semester at Brigham Young University studying Computer Science with an Animation emphasis. I am currently finishing off a couple of last final projects, and I am so ready to be home for Christmas. I will miss working as a research assistant though; I have had the privilege of working in two awesome research labs on campus, and they have been great experiences (and have made sure that I haven't starved too bad over the past couple of years). Nonetheless, I'll be returning to Utah for the upcoming year with a promising job prospect, and I will be looking into pursuing a post-graduate degree as well. Looking forward to an epic new year.
I could not have seen the end of the year coming if I tried twelve months ago. As far as I was concerned, I was in another world. Those first six months of the year passed too quickly, but held within them some of the happiest moments of my life. I regret nothing about serving a full-time mission in Sydney, Australia, and halfway through the year, I am grateful to have passed the torch on to Sister Tsai. It is one of the Lord's many reminders that the people whom I love continue to be in good hands, and the work never ceases! Coming home has been and still is a surreal experience. I am glad to now tend a vineyard that has long been in need of maintenance, but I look forward to the day that I will return to the place I called home for two years. Much love!
It has been an absolutely incredible year for me! After three months of at-home preparation, including teaching Primary and Sunday School, preparing for and receiving my endowment, as well as reading and studying the Book of Mormon, I was finally able to enter the Provo MTC on March 26. Since then, my life has changed significantly.

I am not sure what else I can say more about my mission, but I know that Heavenly Father sent me here to Australia just for me. I have walked through freezing winds as well as humid heat, but that is not what has made my mission for me thus far. The love I have developed for the people here, the wonderful gospel I've come to understand more and more everyday, and the love I feel from my Heavenly Father are what really has made my mission special. I have not seen success by the world's standards, but I do know that I am fulfilling the mission God called me to serve, and that is ultimately what matters.

I love Australia, I love this gospel, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I know that God knows best. If we follow His will, we will become who He wants us to become and we will be able to feel the incomprehensible joy that comes from living the gospel of Jesus Christ.
This year I started eighth grade. I like drawing, horseback riding, and tennis. Next year I will be going to Quince Orchard High School and am preparing to join their Signature program in art. Currently I am taking physics, geometry, and Chinese. I participate in the AALead Club, which is mostly for Asian Americans. My mom says that I should continue harp lessons, and I will do so.


We wish each of you prosperity and happiness and peace throughout this coming year.

Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year!

The Tsai family,
Ben, Li-Fang, Jessica and Henry and Blake, Jonathan, Joshua, Melinda, and Megan



親愛的家人與朋友們:

一年一度在此向您問候。今年吾家大事略述: 二月,我們的大女兒在麗芳生日那天攜家帶眷飛到東岸給麗芳一個突來的驚喜。三月,致慧開始她在澳大利亞全時間傳教服務。致賢在六月從澳大利亞回來。暑假期間,我們去紐約克謨拉山觀賞演出並體驗摩爾門經中在此地發生的歷史,當然也參觀了約瑟斯密農場和住屋以及聖林。八月,我們到加州拜訪麗芳的父母並遊覽美國西部聖地亞哥拉斯維加斯。我們也租車開到猶他州看望兒女和孫子。在猶他,祖父母、父母舅姨、兒女們聚集一堂舉行了一次家族家譜聚會。麗芳的哥哥忠誠分享了他如何前往中國找到有關族譜和中國遠親的旅程,也放影片給我們看他搜索的家譜資料。周末我們在普羅沃峽谷舉行家庭燒烤。十二月,致琦將畢業於楊百翰大學,慶幸在畢業前一個月找到了一份工作。

在一月,我開始兼職SAT輔導班,薪酬不高,但我喜歡與孩子們工作。我也今年為華盛頓特區支聯會組織了一天的管風琴(電子琴)教學研習營,參加者超過兩百個人。在教會裡,我教初級班(8-11歲)也兼任青年主日學教師。雖然麗芳和我暫時都缺席大華盛頓摩門教合唱團,我的合唱機率直升,從中國男聲合唱團唱到中國人組團的聖誕合唱團。
是耶穌誕生的慶祝季節,我回溯祂出生前,各旅店都一一的關上門因為"沒有房間"唯有那卑微的馬槽接納了祂的來臨。孩子們:我們每個人就像一間客店。我希望我們每天都讓出一些"空間(心房)"接納並勵行耶穌基督和先知的教導。如今更是"處於世界而不屬於世界"的時代,清理家中一些不必要的的事物,使家成為像聖殿一樣的潔淨,好使聖靈能與我們居住其中以保全我們不被誘離主的道。

我感謝復興的真實福音。我感謝能在這福音中成長。我感謝救主耶穌基督為我們所做的贖罪犧牲。我感謝我能真的知道如果沒有救主,救恩計畫不能完成,人類不能得救,此生即是枉然。我很喜歡尼腓二書第二章的每一句話,有關救贖,有關萬事對立,有關創造,有關自由選擇權。澄清了亞當夏媧審慎選擇以及世人在肉身中的考驗時期的重要性。

引用其中幾句話:不要順著肉體的慾望和其中的邪惡選擇永恆的死亡。。。我希望你們仰賴那位偉大的中保,聽從祂偉大的命令,忠於祂的話語,並遵照祂神聖之靈的旨意,選擇永生。

2014聖誕感言
這是一個有趣的一年,彥承成長的太快了!他現在十八個月大對一切事物都非常好奇!我們感到非常幸運,因為他對別人很友善(也許有時有點太友好,哈哈!),是個容易照顧的乖孩子。

政哲仍然在如新公司工作,同時也網上上課。他為我們的小家庭做了許多事。:)

致潔除了在家看顧彥承外,她剛開始一個有趣的工作──Jamberry指甲顧問!如果你喜歡做你的指甲,你可以與她聯繫,超級樂趣!我們在這裡不做宣傳,因為是聖誕信。只是,她實在是太興奮了!:)

我們期待著二零一五年的來臨!
我終於完成了我在楊百翰大學的最後一個學期學習電腦科學與動畫。目前面對的是最後的期末考,然後準備回家過聖誕節。我會想念在大學擔任研究助理的經驗和時光,因我認識的這兩位超棒的研究員,從他們我學習到許多很棒的研究經歷。新年過後,我還會回到猶他先工作一年,然後繼續學習研究生學位。期待一個嶄新的一年。
如果我試圖在十二個月前想年尾,我很難相信今年即將結束。就我而言,我一直覺得我還活在另一個世界(一個我最懷念的地方)。今年的前六個月過去了太快,但卻是我一生中最快樂的時刻。我全然無悔服務於澳大利亞雪梨的全職傳道。我很感謝半年後能將這火炬傳下去給我的妹妹。這是主多次提示說:我所愛的人會繼續在良人之手,這事工永不停止!  結束傳教返鄉一直並且仍然是一個超現實的體驗。

我很高興我現在在維修目前等著我修護的葡萄園(傳道後的生活圈),但我仍期待有一天,我可以再回到我待了兩年(*辛勤耕種的地方)….一個我稱為"家"的地方。太多的愛! (*媽媽加上去的)
這是對我來說相當驚喜的一年!經過了在家的這三個月準備,包含教導初級會和主日學、接受我的個人恩道門及研讀摩爾門經,我終於在3月26日這天進入了普羅孚的傳教士訓練中心。從那個時刻起,我的生命有了巨大的改變。

我不知道我還可以對我的傳教生活多說什麼,但是我知道天父為了我而將我送到澳洲。我走過刺冷的寒風,也經歷了潮濕的酷熱,但是這些都不是為什麼傳教生活改變我的原因。而是我對這裡每個人所建立的愛、每天越來越對美好的福音的了解,及我所感受到的天父的愛才是真正使我的傳道生活如此特別的原因。我並沒有看見用這個世界的標準所造成的成功,而是神召喚我來完成這個傳道事工,這也是最重要的。

我不知道我還可以對我的傳教生活多說什麼,但是我知道天父為了我而將我送到澳洲。我走過刺冷的寒風,也經歷了潮濕的酷熱,但是這些都不是為什麼傳教生活改變我的原因。而是我對這裡每個人所建立的愛、每天越來越對美好的福音的了解,及我所感受到的天父的愛才是真正使我的傳道生活如此特別的原因。我並沒有看見用這個世界的標準所造成的成功,而是神召喚我來完成這個傳道事工,這也是最重要的。
我是八年級學生,我喜歡畫畫、騎馬、打網球。明年我將上Quince Orchard 高中,我準備明年加入他們的美術班。現在在學校裡,我拿中文課,也參加AALead俱樂部,這主要是為亞裔美國人。媽媽說必須繼續學豎琴,我只能乖乖聽話。


祝您闔家平安


聖誕快樂!新年快樂!


蔡家庭
格文、麗芳、致潔及政哲和彥承、致琦、致賢、致慧、致涵

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Holidays 2023

中文版在英文版的下面 ↓↓↓ Dear family and friends, This year, many in our family had the opportunity to visit Taiwan. 2023 for our family included the newest baby, the passing away of a matriarch, and a blissful retirement. Li-Fang and I now have 6 beautiful grandchildren. We are grateful for family relations and blessings. Happy new year! We really enjoyed the visits from our two older daughters and their children. After Megan also came home for a month, we commenced a cross-country drive to Utah and California. We visited my brother, Tim, and his family, and San Francisco. Then we flew to Taiwan for a 2-week around-the-island tour, in which we visited over 100 people in over 50 places. By the way I retired from federal government service. While I do miss the amazing opportunities at NIST and the wonderful friends I made there, I am relishing my retirement, still teaching part-time at Montgomery College, keeping busier than before with more service, physical, and social a

Taiwan Island Trip: Part II

On Day 8, Brother Chen came again to pick us up to Brother Ge Guanping’s house in the morning. After treating us to dumplings and fruit, Brother Hu Rang, his neighbor, came over. We talked, took group pictures, and took a tour of the backyard orchard and the other four houses. They had built and planned their five houses to be built together. Brother Chen took us to the Shou Feng train station. We rode the train to Pingtung, where Li-Fang’s classmate, Li Guiyun, picked us up to her house. On Day 9, Li-Fang's friend took us to tour the Six Tribe Hakka Cultural Center. After lunch, she drove us to the Pingtung train station. We rode the train to the Tainan. After checking in at our AirBnb, we rode a taxi to visit Li-Fang’s aunt and her second cousin, Zheng Xiang. On Day 10, we met with our friend, Jobie Li. She drove us to Li-Fang’s dad’s columbarium to see his urn. We also went to the Tainan Confucius Temple and ate a very busy mall food court. Then she dropped us off at

Taiwan Island Trip: Part 1

We flew from San Franciso to South Korea, and then to Taiwan. At the Incheon Airport, we had a layover of about five hours. So we took our time to eat pho and to make origami silk squares at the cultural center. When we arrived at the Taoyuan Airport, the Chou's were waiting for us and ready to drive us to their home. On Day 2 of the Taiwan Island Trip, we ate a breakfast of meat cakes and fish soup with Vincent and Jean Chou. Then their whole family of 8 tooks in their minivan for a drive-by tour of Tsinghua University and TSMC. Then we toured the National Palace Museum, including an audio tour. Next, we enjoyed lunch at the museum restaurant. They drove us to the Taipei Temple Patron Housing. On Day 3, we attended the Taipei Temple. Jean and Vincent Chou joined us at the Temple. We also met President Carl Liang and Brother Fu'an Tsai. Afterwards, we were surprised to see the Pascual family outside the temple waiting for us. After lunch, they took us to Bali, whic