Skip to main content

Happy Holidays 2011

Dearest family and friends,

At the end of another wonderful year, we once again celebrate our many blessings. Our two oldest children have successfully completed their full-time missionary service. Another child graduated from high school.  Li-Fang and Joshua drove to BYU, and the family stayed one month in Utah.  In February, we endured one major snowstorm, but we were surprised with a rare early Maryland snowstorm in October.  And just for fun, we managed to sneak away to Ocean City during Spring Break.

We offer our individual perspectives and thoughts on our lives during 2011:


Each semester, I continue to teach a night class at Montgomery College, but this year two milestones were passed.  First, I received my 15 year adjunct teaching certificate.  Second, the brand new Science Center at the college was completed.  So now I have an office that I share with another adjunct professor.

This summer, I was pleasantly surprised to meet my old college pal, Paul, in the home of another old college friend, Nelson.  It was great to talk about old times and to see other families grow.

I am most grateful for a wonderful wife and equally wonderful children.  And I am lucky to be living at a very time, when technology is growing, and the gospel is rolling forth.
I am learning the harp with Megan, but she is getting ahead of me. The harp teacher said that she is very talented.  Looking back at the 10 years of teaching piano, it really helped me (and forced me) to learn to be a better piano player and a teacher. I love it.  I also just received a new calling as the Relief  Society President. I do not know what life will be like in the near future.  Wish you the best of the year! Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!
It's interesting to look back at this year: coming home from my mission, working at home for the summer, and then jumping into an internship (teaching 3rd grade).  At times it feels like the post mission life is harder and I want to go back to the mission, but I realize that the mission has prepared me for my real mission.  Having my own classroom has taught me a lot as well, but I know I still have much to learn.  I see that life is all about learning and progressing and I'm grateful for all these experiences this year that have taught me these valuable lessons.
I spent the majority of this past year serving as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Melbourne, Australia. Some personal achievements over the course of this year include lots of learning: learning how to study and how to serve, how to speak a little Mandarin Chinese and how to read a lot less, how to cook (kind of) and how to eat (excessively), how to love others (still in process) and how to be patient with myself. Returning home has been a big change, leaving just enough time to readjust before heading out to Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, in time for the Winter Semester of 2012. Wish everyone a Merry Christmas. 祝大家圣诞快乐!
This past year for me can be summarized by my last semester of high school, summer job, and first semester of college. Looking back at senior year, all of the rehearsals, shows, college auditions, graduation and saying goodbye, it was quite busy but I loved it. This summer consisted of my working at NIST in helping organize database information and developing a user interface for it.

Then Melinda, Megan, Mom, and I finally drove out here to Provo, where I was introduced to BYU campus, the marching band, college work. I love the people here and the education, but there is a lot of work! I can't wait to reunite with everyone back home, but even if we can't reunite I still want to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
This year has been really great. My favorite part of 2011 was probably the time we spent in Utah during the summer.  Utah was better than I remembered--I could actually walk to places by myself and the overall environment at BYU was very uplifting.  I love the mountains and people there!  Since this school year's started, I've missed my siblings and friends who are out at college, but to compensate for that, Jonathan returned home from his mission, and has been a wonderful chauffeur for me!
I'm finally a senior! I'm doing an internship at NIST this year to help me learn more about the work that goes on in the "real world".  It's been really educational and interesting for me to study and research just like real scientists!
I still continue to play the flute in the school band, though not as much as I would like.  I instead dedicate most of my time towards dancing.  I'm dancing in Nutcracker again, for the second time at the American Dance Institute, and so far it's been an amazing experience.  Performing is just so fun!
I honestly can't wait for this year to be over--there are so many things that I am anticipating in the upcoming year! I will, however, enjoy my Christmas and New Year's break very much nonetheless, and wish you all a Merry Christmas and  Happy New Year!!
This year, Melinda and I joined the Jinhua Chorus.  We practice and learn how to sing all sorts of songs every Friday evening.  I also began the fifth grade this fall, and I cannot wait to graduate from elementary school.  For my first period in school, I ride the bus to Baker Middle School to attend the Math 7 Class.

We hope you also have had a wonderful fulfilling year and wish that the next year may bring even more happiness and peace to you and your family.

Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year!

The Tsai family,
Ben & Li-Fang, Jessica, Jonathan, Joshua, Melinda, & Megan


親愛的家人和朋友:
            又是滿盈豐收、祝福橫溢的一年! 家中兩個最大的孩子完成了他們的全職傳道服務。老大已回BYU續他最後一年的大學生涯,老二等待著過完新年也要回BYU繼續他的大二,老三開始大學新鮮人的生活,老四進入高中最後一年,老么雖是小學最後一年,也已每日搭校車到中學上數學課然後再由校車接送回小學與同年級同學上其他課程。
           家中平安和諧,生活幸福快樂,我們努力工作,孩子盡心學習。在神的保守看護下安心的生活,世上有比這個更值得去爭取的嗎? “任何成功都不能彌補家庭的失敗是我們的座右銘。 家可以成為人間天堂是我們努力的方向,因為我們深信家庭是永恆的”!
我仍繼續工作於聯邦政府並兼職任教於蒙哥馬利學院夜間班。今年,我領到教職15年教學證書。
       
今年夏天,我意外驚喜的會見了大學的老學友,保羅納爾遜長聊敘舊,渡過一個美好的下午。
       
我最感激的是有一個美好的妻子和出眾的孩子。我很幸運能生活在科技發達和豐滿福音的時期。
我跟著致涵學習豎琴,致涵琴藝進步神速。豎琴老師說致涵很有才華
        回顧10年鋼琴教學,自己的收穫和學習不比學生少。我喜愛教學。
音樂是天國的語言、治癒心靈的良藥。十二月以聖誕為主題的音樂崇拜聖餐聚會,我們已感受到了正義者的歌唱是對神的祈禱。
        衷心祝福您----闔家平安、快樂!
有趣的回顧這一年:傳道返鄉、暑期打工、緊接著到一個實習課(教小學三年級)。有時覺得好像傳教後的生活比傳教時更難,很想再回去傳教,但我知道,傳教已準備我去面對我今生真正使命和任務。
        擁有自己的教室我也學習了許多事,我知道我仍有許多要學習的。我知道生活就是不斷的學習和進步,我感謝所有這些經驗。
過去的一年我大部分的時間是在澳大利亞墨爾本耶穌基督後期聖徒教會的傳教士。傳道生活的一些個人成就,包括:知道如何有效的學習和為人服務、如何講漢語和閱讀中文、如何做飯(還能吃)、如何快速解決一餐、如何愛別人(仍在進步中)、還有如何對自己有耐心。
        回國是一個很大的變化,所以離返回猶他楊百翰大學的時間僅足夠調整和適應這些改變。    祝大家聖誕快樂。
過去的一年對我來說真是忙碌極了,概括高中最後一學期的學業及所有排練和演出、大學術科考試、畢業告別、暑期在聯邦政府國家標準局打工、適應大學新生活。回顧起來雖然很忙,但我很喜歡。
        今夏,我和致慧致涵、還有媽媽,一路從州開四天的車到猶他楊百翰大學。接受新生訓練、認識校園、步操樂隊集訓,很忙,很辛苦。不過我很喜歡這裏很友善人和學校的教育系統。
        期待假期回家團圓。祝聖誕快樂,新年快樂!
今年過得太滿意了!我最喜歡的一件事情就是今年夏天開車去猶他猶他州比我想像的還要好─我可以走路就到我要去的地方,楊百翰大學〈BYU〉給我的感覺非常棒,我喜歡那邊的山和那邊的人。自從開學後,我總是想念去BYU上大學的兄姐和朋友,不過自從傳教回來後,那失落感就消失了。致琦也時常成為我的私人司機!
        這是我高中的最後一年。我早上上學,下午在聯邦政府實習。實習幫助我眼界增長,融合教科書與現實的實際經驗,這真是一個有教育性質的方式,並且能與科學家一起做研究真的很有意思。
        每天實習後就到芭蕾舞校去練舞。雖然沒有像自己想要的那樣能有多一些時間吹笛子,至少在學校的樂隊也多少有機會練習一下。
今年,我和姊姊致慧參加了菁華兒童合唱團。每星期五晚上我們學習唱各種不同語言的歌。

今年秋天我開始上五年級。我每天乘坐校車先到貝克中學上一堂7數學,然後校車會專門接送我們五位小學生回我們的學校。


祝你也有一個美好而充實的一年!也祝你和你的家人得到更多的幸福和平安!

聖誕快樂!新年快樂!
蔡家庭
格文、麗芳、致潔、致琦、致賢、致慧、致涵

Comments

  1. Happy New Tsai Family! We miss you all! It looks as if everyone is doing great, what a wonderful family you have. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Holidays 2023

中文版在英文版的下面 ↓↓↓ Dear family and friends, This year, many in our family had the opportunity to visit Taiwan. 2023 for our family included the newest baby, the passing away of a matriarch, and a blissful retirement. Li-Fang and I now have 6 beautiful grandchildren. We are grateful for family relations and blessings. Happy new year! We really enjoyed the visits from our two older daughters and their children. After Megan also came home for a month, we commenced a cross-country drive to Utah and California. We visited my brother, Tim, and his family, and San Francisco. Then we flew to Taiwan for a 2-week around-the-island tour, in which we visited over 100 people in over 50 places. By the way I retired from federal government service. While I do miss the amazing opportunities at NIST and the wonderful friends I made there, I am relishing my retirement, still teaching part-time at Montgomery College, keeping busier than before with more service, physical, and social a

Taiwan Island Trip: Part II

On Day 8, Brother Chen came again to pick us up to Brother Ge Guanping’s house in the morning. After treating us to dumplings and fruit, Brother Hu Rang, his neighbor, came over. We talked, took group pictures, and took a tour of the backyard orchard and the other four houses. They had built and planned their five houses to be built together. Brother Chen took us to the Shou Feng train station. We rode the train to Pingtung, where Li-Fang’s classmate, Li Guiyun, picked us up to her house. On Day 9, Li-Fang's friend took us to tour the Six Tribe Hakka Cultural Center. After lunch, she drove us to the Pingtung train station. We rode the train to the Tainan. After checking in at our AirBnb, we rode a taxi to visit Li-Fang’s aunt and her second cousin, Zheng Xiang. On Day 10, we met with our friend, Jobie Li. She drove us to Li-Fang’s dad’s columbarium to see his urn. We also went to the Tainan Confucius Temple and ate a very busy mall food court. Then she dropped us off at

Taiwan Island Trip: Part 1

We flew from San Franciso to South Korea, and then to Taiwan. At the Incheon Airport, we had a layover of about five hours. So we took our time to eat pho and to make origami silk squares at the cultural center. When we arrived at the Taoyuan Airport, the Chou's were waiting for us and ready to drive us to their home. On Day 2 of the Taiwan Island Trip, we ate a breakfast of meat cakes and fish soup with Vincent and Jean Chou. Then their whole family of 8 tooks in their minivan for a drive-by tour of Tsinghua University and TSMC. Then we toured the National Palace Museum, including an audio tour. Next, we enjoyed lunch at the museum restaurant. They drove us to the Taipei Temple Patron Housing. On Day 3, we attended the Taipei Temple. Jean and Vincent Chou joined us at the Temple. We also met President Carl Liang and Brother Fu'an Tsai. Afterwards, we were surprised to see the Pascual family outside the temple waiting for us. After lunch, they took us to Bali, whic