Skip to main content

Happy Holidays 2018


Dear family and friends,
2018 has been a most exciting year.  Below we share our thoughts about this past year and our wishes for the new year.

I am grateful for my expanding family. They have truly taught me a lot, especially my two grandchildren, Blake and Sara Sofia. Children are a great blessing! I am thankful to my beloved wife, for helping me cope with my father's death and for accompanying me to Taiwan to resolve my father's business. I am grateful for the blessings of health, freedom, love, and peace.

I am grateful for all the learning opportunities in school and in real life. I am grateful for the gospel to lead and guide me. When I am home, I have all the support from my family members; I didn’t know that was the greatest strength to push me through difficulties easily. I thought it was all me who can do that all by myself. As I am here alone at night in Taiwan, I started to re-evaluate my strength. I don’t know what is ahead of me. I wish I can do this with God’s help. Here in my homeland, a familiar but strange place, memories of all the wonderful spiritual experiences with God that happened here while I was growing up, began to fill my heart. Maybe, this is another spiritual journey that God will again show His mercy and kindness to me, a rebellious soul.

It’s been a great year, full of challenges, changes, and lots of blessings! Henry was promoted in his job to a management position, Blake started kindergarten, and Jessica has been busy keeping Blake busy with swimming, ice skating, basketball, etc and also teaching piano to the neighborhood kids. There’s been a lot of physical trials (Henry’s back pain, Jessica’s surgery in March and a miscarriage in August) but we are grateful for these trials because we have learned to appreciate so much and are strengthened because of them. Life is good! Enjoy the journey!!
I started off the year with a trip to Mexico, using almost all of my vacation days within the first month. Other than the occasional weekend trip, I have been continuing to work at Pratt & Whitney full-time and have finished my first full year at the company. I am looking forward to the holiday season (and break) and the new year. Happy Holidays everyone, and all the best!
I began this year in my last semester as a BYU undergrad, working on a Capstone project, taking my final classes, performing research, and returning to play the contrabass clarinet in the BYU Wind Symphony. Things didn't fall into place until I had nearly graduated, when I was accepted to UMD and BYU's graduate mechanical engineering programs. I decided to stay at BYU to research under Dr. David Fullwood, which began immediately after a brief return to my mission in Australia in May with the Wind Symphony. Since then I have just been focusing my attention to my study and research, and enjoying every break that I can. Merry Christmas!
This year has been full of many wonderful events for our family. Javier and Melinda both graduated from their universities, majoring in International Business Management and Chemical Engineering, respectively. Javier successfully completed his internship with the Libra Group and got a full-time job at DealerOn. We welcomed our beautiful baby girl, Sara Sofia, into our family in July. We have seen the Lord's Hand guiding us as we strive to build our new family. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
This year has been very eventful with my sister graduating and having a baby girl, me being a senior, filling out college apps, enjoying my last year of marching band, and starting a new season of winterguard. I feel pretty relaxed for a senior; with only four classes to take, I can actually finish everything before 8:00 and sleep early if I wanted to (but it rarely happens of course). The football season and competition season for the marching band ended early this year, for which I am grateful for because of the impossible weather we had. Trying to make room for hobbies is a challenge, but somehow I have been able to start on a painting for Personal Progress, play the harp and piano (I should do it more), bake sweets, wash the dishes (not a hobby, but the time was available), go shopping, practice driving, make cards, and take naps even. I am happy to be able to do these things and to have the time to learn, work, and play. I am excited for this Christmas season and for a new year with more changes to come. Happy Holidays!

We wish each of you prosperity and happiness and peace throughout this coming year.

Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year!
The Tsai family,
Ben, Li-Fang, Jessica and Henry and Blake, Jonathan, Joshua, Melinda and Javi and Sara Sofia, and Megan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Holidays 2023

中文版在英文版的下面 ↓↓↓ Dear family and friends, This year, many in our family had the opportunity to visit Taiwan. 2023 for our family included the newest baby, the passing away of a matriarch, and a blissful retirement. Li-Fang and I now have 6 beautiful grandchildren. We are grateful for family relations and blessings. Happy new year! We really enjoyed the visits from our two older daughters and their children. After Megan also came home for a month, we commenced a cross-country drive to Utah and California. We visited my brother, Tim, and his family, and San Francisco. Then we flew to Taiwan for a 2-week around-the-island tour, in which we visited over 100 people in over 50 places. By the way I retired from federal government service. While I do miss the amazing opportunities at NIST and the wonderful friends I made there, I am relishing my retirement, still teaching part-time at Montgomery College, keeping busier than before with more service, physical, and social a

Taiwan Island Trip: Part II

On Day 8, Brother Chen came again to pick us up to Brother Ge Guanping’s house in the morning. After treating us to dumplings and fruit, Brother Hu Rang, his neighbor, came over. We talked, took group pictures, and took a tour of the backyard orchard and the other four houses. They had built and planned their five houses to be built together. Brother Chen took us to the Shou Feng train station. We rode the train to Pingtung, where Li-Fang’s classmate, Li Guiyun, picked us up to her house. On Day 9, Li-Fang's friend took us to tour the Six Tribe Hakka Cultural Center. After lunch, she drove us to the Pingtung train station. We rode the train to the Tainan. After checking in at our AirBnb, we rode a taxi to visit Li-Fang’s aunt and her second cousin, Zheng Xiang. On Day 10, we met with our friend, Jobie Li. She drove us to Li-Fang’s dad’s columbarium to see his urn. We also went to the Tainan Confucius Temple and ate a very busy mall food court. Then she dropped us off at

Taiwan Island Trip: Part 1

We flew from San Franciso to South Korea, and then to Taiwan. At the Incheon Airport, we had a layover of about five hours. So we took our time to eat pho and to make origami silk squares at the cultural center. When we arrived at the Taoyuan Airport, the Chou's were waiting for us and ready to drive us to their home. On Day 2 of the Taiwan Island Trip, we ate a breakfast of meat cakes and fish soup with Vincent and Jean Chou. Then their whole family of 8 tooks in their minivan for a drive-by tour of Tsinghua University and TSMC. Then we toured the National Palace Museum, including an audio tour. Next, we enjoyed lunch at the museum restaurant. They drove us to the Taipei Temple Patron Housing. On Day 3, we attended the Taipei Temple. Jean and Vincent Chou joined us at the Temple. We also met President Carl Liang and Brother Fu'an Tsai. Afterwards, we were surprised to see the Pascual family outside the temple waiting for us. After lunch, they took us to Bali, whic