Skip to main content

Happy Holidays

Family and friends,

As we draw close to another year and decade, we pause to ponder our many blessings of 2010. The short but busy Spring Break trip to Taiwan gave us an exciting journey to enjoy some of the beauties of Taiwan, visit relatives and friends, and to enjoy the delicious cuisine. This year, we were honored to be able to visit the West Wing of the White House, and we braved the Eastern Shore wilderness where we witnessed the wild ponies of Assateague. Our two oldest children have both finished more than half of their meaningful missionary service. We also made quick excursions to Hershey Park and Williamsburg.

Individually, here are our thoughts and summary for this year:

I have kept busy this year with teaching a night class at Montgomery College each semester and helping with rides to the various school and extracurricular activities The biggest change this year for me personally was the release from serving as branch president at church for the last ten years. It was the most challenging yet most rewarding thing I have done in my life. After adjusting to the change, I have learned to savor the moment for what it is worth (be grateful for everything in life) and do my best to make each moment count (help others in small ways). I am grateful for a wonderful family and for being alive at this wonderful time.
I am so grateful for being able to keep in touch with my very precious old friends in Taiwan and in the US.

My happiest moments are when I receive letters from our children. They show their caring to the people they meet, their love to families, and their trust to God. I quote: “I have No Greater Joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.” (3 John 1:4) Anything that belongs to us could be all taken away somehow, except for one thing, our “will,” unless we give it up. To be able to unite us in harmony, we need to have the same goal, that requires our “willingness” to it. Only by the gospel of Jesus Christ, there is no other way that human intelligent could make us all united in heart. I am grateful for the guidance of our Heavenly Father through practice of the gospel principles in our lives that our family may be united in God’s will. Now I can feel the joy of “All things prosper when harmony is at home.” Going on a mission helps our children grow so fast in spirituality. Another quote: “Choose you this day whom ye will serve…, but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” (Joshua 24:15) The blessing of a full joy of heart is greater than anything else on earth.
2010 has been the best year of my life so far. Serving a mission is such a blessing for me. This year I've served in Littleton (Coalmine Ward), downtown Capitol Hill Denver, and Centennial/Aurora (Piney Creek Ward). I love each area, the people I serve, and the experiences I've had, from walking and talking up and down Colfax Avenue, to seeing the Spirit work within people. I've learned a lot about myself and the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that it is true- that Jesus Christ is our Savior and beckons us all to come unto Him and as we do, we are filled and blessed.

Just in case someone does not currently know, I have been serving in the Australia Melbourne Mission (previously in the Australia Melbourne West Mission) for the past year in the Mandarin Chinese-speaking program. I've been learning and learning and learning some more; talking to everyone and teaching the gospel and speaking Chinese has been a great experience. I have had the chance to serve in several areas with several companions, learning and learning from every single one (area and companion). I don't really know what else to say. I've had a lot of ups and downs, but in the end, I've learned and felt more of God's love for each of His children and my trust in God has been strengthened immensely.
This year, I auditioned and/or participated in the All-State Band, the Lion's Band, and the Superintendent Awards performance. I also had the honor of going to the Kennedy Center to receive a certificate of merit.  I also performed in the 3 ASCYO spring concerts and in the DHS Spring Concert.  I finally received my learner's permit this year.  My favorite thing this year was our trip to Taiwan.  It was fun meeting up with our friends, the Pascual's, while we were there.  Right now, for me and all other seniors, it is college application time!
Right before the beginning of this year, I turned 15. This may not seem like a very significant year compared to 16, but transitioning from a sophomore to a junior has kept me very busy. During the 2nd half of my sophomore year, I still played the flute in our local orchestra ASCYO, as well as in my school band. I was taking ballet lessons from three different dance studios: The American Dance Institute (ADI), Berrend Dance Center, and the Gaithersburg Casey Community Center. I was taking fairly simple classes at school, thus easily kept my grades up. One highlight of this time period is that I got to see my awesome friend Jelica in Taiwan again! I'm so happy we had the opportunity to go and I can't wait to go back next time!

This summer was relaxing, as always, and, as always, I was not necessarily looking forward to this school year. However, I once I finally started, I realized that junior year isn't all that bad after all! I spend the majority of my time focusing on schoolwork and church. I still manage to get very good grades and to take flute lessons to keep my flute playing up as well. I've dedicated most of my extracurricular time to taking ballet lessons five, sometimes six, days a week at ADI, which is an absolutely amazing studio! This is my first year performing the Nutcracker ballet, as a Snow Flake, Spanish, and Flower. I am very excited to be performing this year!

It has been very different living without Jessica and Jonathan for over a year now. I know that they've made the right choice in going on a mission, and I know that they're doing what God wants them to. I also know they're having a fabulous time in Colorado and Australia! I can't wait until next year when they both come back!

This year, I started to take horse back riding lessons at the Potomac Glen Riding School. It has been very fun and exciting learning about horses and to actually ride them.

Mom also made a harp for me, and we are both taking harp lessons.

My favorite place we visited this year was camping at Assateague National Park. We saw wild horses and deer at our campground!

I miss Jessica and Jonathan and can't wait to see them next year when they return.

We hope you also have had a wonderful fulfilling year and wish that the next year may bring even more happiness and peace to you and your family.

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year to all!

The Tsai family,
Ben & Li-Fang, Jessica, Jonathan, Joshua, Melinda, & Megan


親愛的家人和朋友:

回想我們今年的許多祝福,最讓我們懷念的是趁春假回台灣兩個星期暨興奮又匆忙的旅程。我們有幸看到了阿里山的雲海和日出,美麗極了。更興奮的是能見到多年不見的同學,朋友和親戚。又遊覽了日月潭、九族文化村,可惜沒去成夜市。不過也享受了許多美味佳餚和小吃。也去了高雄的中山大學(西子灣)、拜訪了台南支會和屏東支會,見到了好多老教友。可惜還有好多親戚和朋友無法去看望。
回來後,直奔維基尼亞威廉斯堡參加致賢致慧的高中音樂慶典。致賢為學校的合唱團伴奏的優越表現得到裁判的欣賞,在頒獎典禮上竟得了個人才藝出眾獎。除驚喜之外,我們為他 好高興。
趁著暑假即將結束之前,我們決定到海洋城去露營,在那裏有野生的馬群,我們目睹自然生態,也享受了一晚的浪濤聲。(還有數不盡的蚊蟲叮咬)
還有一件值得一提的是: 由於格文同事的關係我們今年有機會走訪白宮。
我還是一樣忙於平日的工作外,並在蒙哥馬利學院兼教晚間一堂課,偶爾幫忙接送孩子參加課外活動。對我個人而言今年最大的改變是卸下了過去十年在教會擔任分會會長的職務,這是最具挑戰性但也是最有意義的召喚。經過短時間的調整和改變後,我學會去抓住並真正的去感激生命中的每一分每一秒(感激生活中的一切),並盡我所能使每一刻更有價值。我很感謝有個美好的家庭。

我最快樂的時刻之一是收到孩子的信,從字句中流露出對人的關懷、對家人的真情及對神的信任。引用沒有任何事能比聽到我的孩子走在真理中更讓我喜悅的了」〈約翰三書約1:4 們的所有一切都有可能被剝走,只有一樣是誰也取走不了的,那就是我們"意願"。心意要合一就是要建立同樣的目標,就必須有同樣的"意願"。除非藉著耶穌基 督的福音,以人類的智能是無法達到合一的目標。感謝天父保守我們能藉著遵行福音原則使我們家人的心靈合一。我現在可以體會家和萬事興的喜悅。傳教 的孩子心靈成長得快。再引用今日就可以選擇所要事奉的…,至於我和我家,我們必定事奉主。」〈約書亞記24:15心中滿足的祝福超過一切。
到目前為止2010年是我一生中最好的一年。傳教服務對我而言真是個祝福。我服務過 Littleton (Coalmine Ward), downtown Capitol Hill Denver, and Centennial/Aurora (Piney Creek Ward)等地區。我愛每個地區、每個我服務過的人、還有所有在 Colfax Avenue來來回回的與人交談並看到聖靈在人們中所作的工的一切經驗。我從中學習到認識自己和耶穌基督復興的福音。我知道耶穌基督是我們的救主並邀請我們所有的人到祂這裏來,若我們照作就能受到豐滿和祝福──這是真的。
我目前在澳大利亞墨爾本傳道部服務,在過去一年中以華語傳教。我一直學習、學習、再學習。與人交談、教導福音和學習中文真是個很棒的經驗。我有機會在不同的幾個地區服務和不同的同伴。我從每一個人身上學習(也在每個地區成長) 。不知還要說些甚麼?我有很多的高低潮,不過到最後我總是學到並感覺到更多神對祂所有的孩子的愛,也因此更堅強了我對神的信賴。
今年,我參與多項樂團──校內的樂隊、合唱團、管弦樂、校外的州樂團、獅子會樂團、聖西斯里亞青年樂團。在聯合高中的音樂慶典上獲得特殊演奏榮譽獎,並由學校推薦在肯尼迪中心(Kennedy Center)接受全國各校精選之音樂才藝獎。
我今年最喜歡的是去台灣旅行。我終於得到的學開車的許可證。現在,我和其他所有高四一樣忙著申請大學,入學表格一大堆,時間緊張,還有繁重的功課。不能等趕快畢業。
年初除夕我剛滿 15,與16歲相比這似乎不是一個非常重要的一年,但高二進入高三的過度期使我非常忙碌。在高二的下半年度我還在聖西斯利亞青年樂團以及學校的樂隊吹長笛。我同時也在三個不同的舞蹈中心學習芭蕾(美國舞蹈協會(ADI)、Berrend舞蹈中心和社區中心蓋瑟斯堡凱西中心),同時間也能在學校保持良好成績。
今年的黃金時間是到台灣再次見到我最好的朋友Jelica!我真高興我們有機會去,也迫不及待地等待下一次再回去!
今年夏天跟以往一樣很放鬆,也和以往一樣不希望開學。然而,終究還是來了,還好沒我想像的那麼糟糕!我主要把時間專注在學校和教會。由於我必須花許多時間每天去學芭蕾舞以致今年無法參加任何樂團,只能上長笛的課來保持演奏的水準。到目前為止,我還是能在學校掌握住好成績。ADI(美國舞蹈協會)真是個很棒的舞蹈中心。這是我學舞以來第一次參Nutcracker ballet的演出, 我有三個角色:雪花、西班牙和花。我好幸奮今年的表演!
一年多生活在沒有致潔和致琦的日子很不一樣。我知道他們都做了正確的選擇去傳教,我知道他們在做神要他們做的事。我也知道他們在科羅拉多和澳洲有美好的時光。期待他們兩人明年返鄉。
今年,我開始在Potomac Glen騎術學校學習騎馬。這是非常有趣和令人興奮的事,不但學習認識馬匹、學習如何與馬交談並了解他們,還能騎馬。
媽媽在Kemper弟兄的幫助下做了一座豎琴給我,現在我們一起學豎琴。
今年我最喜歡的是到亞薩提格國家公園露營。我們看到野生馬和鹿在我們的宿營地! 我很想念致潔和致琦,不能等待他們明年回來。


祝你也有一個美好而充實的一年!也祝你和你的家人得到更多的幸福和平安!

聖誕快樂!新年快樂!
蔡家庭
格文、麗芳、致潔、致琦、致賢、致慧、致涵

Comments

  1. What a wonderful year for all of you! We miss you. Wish you Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Holidays 2023

中文版在英文版的下面 ↓↓↓ Dear family and friends, This year, many in our family had the opportunity to visit Taiwan. 2023 for our family included the newest baby, the passing away of a matriarch, and a blissful retirement. Li-Fang and I now have 6 beautiful grandchildren. We are grateful for family relations and blessings. Happy new year! We really enjoyed the visits from our two older daughters and their children. After Megan also came home for a month, we commenced a cross-country drive to Utah and California. We visited my brother, Tim, and his family, and San Francisco. Then we flew to Taiwan for a 2-week around-the-island tour, in which we visited over 100 people in over 50 places. By the way I retired from federal government service. While I do miss the amazing opportunities at NIST and the wonderful friends I made there, I am relishing my retirement, still teaching part-time at Montgomery College, keeping busier than before with more service, physical, and social a

Taiwan Island Trip: Part II

On Day 8, Brother Chen came again to pick us up to Brother Ge Guanping’s house in the morning. After treating us to dumplings and fruit, Brother Hu Rang, his neighbor, came over. We talked, took group pictures, and took a tour of the backyard orchard and the other four houses. They had built and planned their five houses to be built together. Brother Chen took us to the Shou Feng train station. We rode the train to Pingtung, where Li-Fang’s classmate, Li Guiyun, picked us up to her house. On Day 9, Li-Fang's friend took us to tour the Six Tribe Hakka Cultural Center. After lunch, she drove us to the Pingtung train station. We rode the train to the Tainan. After checking in at our AirBnb, we rode a taxi to visit Li-Fang’s aunt and her second cousin, Zheng Xiang. On Day 10, we met with our friend, Jobie Li. She drove us to Li-Fang’s dad’s columbarium to see his urn. We also went to the Tainan Confucius Temple and ate a very busy mall food court. Then she dropped us off at

Taiwan Island Trip: Part 1

We flew from San Franciso to South Korea, and then to Taiwan. At the Incheon Airport, we had a layover of about five hours. So we took our time to eat pho and to make origami silk squares at the cultural center. When we arrived at the Taoyuan Airport, the Chou's were waiting for us and ready to drive us to their home. On Day 2 of the Taiwan Island Trip, we ate a breakfast of meat cakes and fish soup with Vincent and Jean Chou. Then their whole family of 8 tooks in their minivan for a drive-by tour of Tsinghua University and TSMC. Then we toured the National Palace Museum, including an audio tour. Next, we enjoyed lunch at the museum restaurant. They drove us to the Taipei Temple Patron Housing. On Day 3, we attended the Taipei Temple. Jean and Vincent Chou joined us at the Temple. We also met President Carl Liang and Brother Fu'an Tsai. Afterwards, we were surprised to see the Pascual family outside the temple waiting for us. After lunch, they took us to Bali, whic