Skip to main content

Happy Holidays from Tsai Family, 2012!

Dearest family and friends,

We hope you had a great 2012 year.  For our family, this year has been one of change and joy. In this dragon year, we have had three graduations, 1 mission call, 1 wedding, 1 new freshman, and 1 new middle school student. Our three girls all graduated, one from elementary school, one from high school, and one from college. Joshua received his mission call earlier this year after his musical tour to Europe, entered the MTC on the 4th of July, and started his mission in Australia in September. Another big highlight of the year was Jessica's engagement and marriage to Henry Lin. Henry and Jessica came to Maryland in June to hold an open house in honor of their engagement. Then we traveled to Utah for their beautiful wedding in the Draper Utah Temple and for their wedding reception. With the start of a new school year, Melinda began her freshman year at BYU this fall, while Megan is beginning her first year of homeschooling under the tutelage of her mom and dad.

We now offer our individual perspectives and thoughts on our lives after a very eventful 2012:



My heart is full of gratitude for the many things which have transpired this year. My greatest blessing has been to share life with a most wonderful companion who has walked by my side for the past 25 memorable years, who has shared with me both the sorrows and pains and the joys and vissicitudes of life, and who has reared our beautiful children and has created a loving and peaceful home for our family to grow. I am very proud of my children for the righteous choices they have made in their lives. I am very grateful for a new son and for his choosing my daughter to share in their walk through life together. I am thankful for the opportunity to live in this promised land, where I can choose to uphold the principles of truth and the morals upon which this country was founded. I was honored to be able to meet some of my old friends from college and mission on my pilgrimage back West this summer. Besides my family, my friends are also a great strength to my faith and a joy in our precious memories. I am grateful for the solid truths and principles found in the scriptures, particularly the Book of Mormon. Although turbulence and moral shifts are occurring in the world at this time at a greater than ever pace, the teachings in the Book of Mormon have been an anchor of my faith this year. I look forward to more growth and happiness in the upcoming year.

All I can say is that I am so thankful for my Savior, Jesus Christ, for His life, His example and His gospel. The gospel of Jesus Christ is the center of our family beliefs; it brings us to unity. So many things are going on in this world, but the only place that we can feel safe and peaceful is in our hearts through exercising our faith in Jesus Christ and practicing the gospel principles in our daily lives. I am grateful for my husband who is willing to take the responsibility to lead our family. I am grateful for my children who love our God and are willing to serve Him anywhere at any time. That’s my blessing from Heaven. Through raising our children, I understand more of what the true gospel is all about. And, we are “richer” because we need to provide them with earthly needs. I cannot believe that I am so “rich” both temporally and spiritually.


This year has brought many changes to our lives.  Henry and I started dating early this year and it worked out because we got married on July 21, 2012.  

I am teaching 3rd grade again but this time in Chinese, as part of the Chinese Immersion program.   I am learning lots! I am grateful for Henry for his patience in helping me...

Marriage life is the best!  We are also expecting a little one next year :)  stay tuned...
 


This year began with my first semester back at Brigham Young University after returning from my mission the previous year, and it has been non-stop school from then. The transition has been a fun one, initially studying Animation, moving over to Computer Science, and then finally joining the two, applying for and entering the Computer Science with Animation emphasis program at BYU. Looking forward to a nice break before starting up a new year.


After much soul searching, I decided that I needed to serve a mission.  So after my 3-week tour to Europe, I had my wisdom pulled and I submitted the application for a mission.  I was excited when I found out that my mission call was to serve in the Australia Sydney Mission speaking Mandarin Chinese.  On July 4th, I entered the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah, to receive training for teaching the gospel and for learning Mandarin Chinese.  In September, I finished my training and flew to Sydney, where I was assigned to my first area in Newcastle.  My trainer and I started a new Chinese area.  The work has been difficult, but the blessings have been many.  I love serving God and others and bringing the news of something that can change people's lives.

Life this past year has been extremely exciting and has brought lots of change. After finally graduating high school, I was able to spend time with my family during the last couple months before I began a new life here at BYU. I was so excited to meet Henry and see Jessica get married in the temple. 

I was able to attend BYU's summer dance camp to start out my experience here at college. After that was over, I began my new life as a BYU student. I've made so many new friends, and have learned to live out on my own! Of course, I have my brother, sister, and brother-in-law to help me, and I visit them often.

Being out here in Utah is amazing. I've learned so much, not just academically, but socially and spiritually with the wonderful environment here. I love being around mountains and around wonderful people!

I miss my older brother who I know is doing awesome on his mission, and I'm happy to be visiting my family back in Maryland this Christmas. I'm so grateful for all the many great opportunities Heavenly Father has given me this year, and I know next year will bring much more! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!


This year I was excited to pay a surprise visit to Utah in April when my sister was sick.  I also spent the whole summer in Utah with relatives.  During the summer, I played with my cousins, pretended to fish with Grandpa and Uncle Daniel, panned for fool's gold, caught a butterfly and three moths, and ate Golden Spoon frozen yogurts, J Dawg hot dogs, and Awful Waffle waffles.  Of course, I love watching my sister get married.  I was homeschooled this semester.  I am enjoying participating in a small harp ensemble for a Christmas program.  This year has been a fun and exciting year.  Hope you had one too.


Our many blessings have been huge this year.  We are so grateful for everything which we have been given.  We wish each of you true peace and happiness in your lives throughout this coming year.

Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year!

The Tsai family,
Ben, Li-Fang, Jessica and Henry, Jonathan, Joshua, Melinda, and Megan



最愛的家人與朋友們:
    我們希望您有一個很棒的2012年。今年好事連連:在這龍年裏,我們家出了3個畢業生、1個傳道召喚、1個婚禮、1個大學新鮮人、1個升格中學生。三個女兒分別從小學、高中和大學畢業了。二兒子致賢在他從歐洲巡迴演奏後接到他的傳道通知,於七月四日進入傳教士訓練中心學習中文並於九月開始他在澳洲雪梨的傳道工作。今年的另一個高潮是長女致潔林政哲的婚禮。政哲致潔在六月底到馬里蘭家中舉辦了訂婚慶宴,七月二十一日我們去猶他Draper聖殿參加他們美麗的婚姻印證,之後參加他們設計得很棒的婚禮招待宴會。新學年的開始,致慧終於實現了她夢想已久的楊百翰大學新鮮人的生活;致涵的生活也有了大轉變,哥哥姊姊都走了,媽媽決定留她在家homeschool中學課程,明年再回學校,要珍惜並享受這母女獨處的一年

    我滿懷感激今年的收穫。最大的祝福是我的另一半在過去的25年裏與我同甘共苦。我因孩子們選擇正義而引以為榮。增加了一個新兒子(女婿),因他與女兒共同建立他們的未來感到欣慰。這個夏天我在美國西部的旅遊遇見了好幾位大學時代認識的朋友、同學還有傳教時認識的一些人。除了我的家人外,我的朋友們也是我信心增長和快樂的來源。我感激在經文裏能找的永恆不變的真理和原則,最愛摩爾門經。在這動盪不安的世界局勢中,摩爾門經的教導一直是我的定錨。我期待著未來有更多的成長和收穫
    我所能說的就是:我很感激我的救主耶穌基督因祂的生命、祂的榜樣和祂的福音。耶穌基督的福音是我們家中的生活中心,它帶給我們家中合一、和諧的氣氛。現在世界變化多端,然而只有一個地方我們可以感受到平安,那就是我們的“心”--一顆經由對耶穌基督的信心並認真地將福音原則運用在每日生活的""。感謝格文認真負責帶領這個家。欣慰孩子們愛神並且願意在任何地方、任何時間為神服務("你們在為同胞服務時,只是在為神服務而已"--出自摩爾門經)。這些就是來自天上給我的祝福。經由教養子女,我更能理解甚麼是真實的福音。也是因為要撫養供給孩子的所需,我們變得更"富有",屬世屬靈兼具。在這慶祝基督出生的季節裏,我獻上對救主耶穌基督的感恩
    今年在我們的生活中有巨大的改變。政哲和我從年初開始約會到七月二十一日結婚一直都很順利。
    我現在擔任國小三年級的中文老師,是全天中文式教學。我學到很多!!也感謝政哲的幫助及支持...     婚姻生活是很美滿的! 我們同時也很期待明年孩子的到來:)

    今年是我從傳教返鄉回楊百翰大學的第一年,從年初至今尚未停息任何一學期。決定主修哪門課程是件有趣的事。從主修學習卡通動畫改到電腦科技,最後將二合為一,申請到了重點動畫電腦科技班。期待假日的來臨然後再好好的開始新的學年

    經歷好一段的搜索,我決定去傳教。所以從歐洲旅遊回來後三個星期我去拔掉了智齒,然後將我的傳教申請書寄出。當我收到我的召喚書要我到澳洲雪梨用中文傳教,我興奮極了!七月四日我進入了猶他普羅弗傳教士訓練中心,接受以華語教導福音的訓練課程。九月我飛往雪梨,我的第一個指派地區是新古堡。我的同伴和我開發了一個新的華人地帶傳道區。工作雖不容易但是祝福不斷。我愛為神和為人服務,並帶給他們一些可以改變人們生活和生命的信息

   今年的生活真是超興奮和多變!終於高中畢業,又能和我的家人在我進楊百翰大學之前相聚兩個多月。我好興奮去認識我未來的姊夫並看致潔在聖殿裡結婚。
   在大學新學期開始之前,我在楊百翰大學暑期舞蹈營見習一下大學生活。學期開始後,我學習獨立自主也交了許多的新朋友。當然囉,我還有哥哥姊姊和姊夫在這裡幫我,我也常去拜訪他們。
   猶他州這裏真是太棒了。我學到好多東西,不只是學校課業,還有社交和靈性增長的美好環境。我愛四周環繞的山和親切的人們!

    今年四月意外的去了一趟猶他州探望生病的姊姊,然後七月又去猶他逗留了整個夏天。夏天裏,我常和表弟表妹們玩耍、跟外公和舅舅去釣魚、到教會歷史站參觀並玩"撈金"的活動、捕捉到一隻蝴蝶和三隻飛蛾,還有去吃"黃金勺子"的酸奶冰淇淋、J Dawg 的巨無霸熱狗包和Awful Waffle 早餐餅。當然還有我最愛的是看著我姊姊結婚。我這學年會在家上學。我很喜歡參與豎琴合奏樂團並參與聖誕節目表演。今年真是個有趣又興奮的一年,希望你也一樣


祝您闔家平安!

聖誕快樂!新年快樂!
蔡家庭
格文、麗芳、致潔及政哲、致琦、致賢、致慧、致涵

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Holidays 2023

中文版在英文版的下面 ↓↓↓ Dear family and friends, This year, many in our family had the opportunity to visit Taiwan. 2023 for our family included the newest baby, the passing away of a matriarch, and a blissful retirement. Li-Fang and I now have 6 beautiful grandchildren. We are grateful for family relations and blessings. Happy new year! We really enjoyed the visits from our two older daughters and their children. After Megan also came home for a month, we commenced a cross-country drive to Utah and California. We visited my brother, Tim, and his family, and San Francisco. Then we flew to Taiwan for a 2-week around-the-island tour, in which we visited over 100 people in over 50 places. By the way I retired from federal government service. While I do miss the amazing opportunities at NIST and the wonderful friends I made there, I am relishing my retirement, still teaching part-time at Montgomery College, keeping busier than before with more service, physical, and social a

Taiwan Island Trip: Part II

On Day 8, Brother Chen came again to pick us up to Brother Ge Guanping’s house in the morning. After treating us to dumplings and fruit, Brother Hu Rang, his neighbor, came over. We talked, took group pictures, and took a tour of the backyard orchard and the other four houses. They had built and planned their five houses to be built together. Brother Chen took us to the Shou Feng train station. We rode the train to Pingtung, where Li-Fang’s classmate, Li Guiyun, picked us up to her house. On Day 9, Li-Fang's friend took us to tour the Six Tribe Hakka Cultural Center. After lunch, she drove us to the Pingtung train station. We rode the train to the Tainan. After checking in at our AirBnb, we rode a taxi to visit Li-Fang’s aunt and her second cousin, Zheng Xiang. On Day 10, we met with our friend, Jobie Li. She drove us to Li-Fang’s dad’s columbarium to see his urn. We also went to the Tainan Confucius Temple and ate a very busy mall food court. Then she dropped us off at

Taiwan Island Trip: Part 1

We flew from San Franciso to South Korea, and then to Taiwan. At the Incheon Airport, we had a layover of about five hours. So we took our time to eat pho and to make origami silk squares at the cultural center. When we arrived at the Taoyuan Airport, the Chou's were waiting for us and ready to drive us to their home. On Day 2 of the Taiwan Island Trip, we ate a breakfast of meat cakes and fish soup with Vincent and Jean Chou. Then their whole family of 8 tooks in their minivan for a drive-by tour of Tsinghua University and TSMC. Then we toured the National Palace Museum, including an audio tour. Next, we enjoyed lunch at the museum restaurant. They drove us to the Taipei Temple Patron Housing. On Day 3, we attended the Taipei Temple. Jean and Vincent Chou joined us at the Temple. We also met President Carl Liang and Brother Fu'an Tsai. Afterwards, we were surprised to see the Pascual family outside the temple waiting for us. After lunch, they took us to Bali, whic