Skip to main content

Happy Holidays 2015

Happy Holidays from the Tsai family, 2015! 



Dear family and friends,

2015 was a year of surprises and growth. We made a quick trip to Utah in April to celebrate Jonathan's college graduation. When we returned home, we participated in a first ever Chinese choir festival organized by Li-Fang. We witnessed Megan's promotion from middle school in June. During the summer, besides cooling off in the community swimming pool a few times, we stole away to see my brother in Illinois, to witness the dedication of the new LDS temple in Indiana, and to relax on a short trip to Virginia Beach. We were also surprised by a couple of surprise visits by my brother Joe. Megan started her first year as a freshman in high school. Melinda returned home with honor from her missionary service in Sydney, Australia.

Now, we share our individual perspectives of our journey this year.


We live in a day of "wars, rumors of wars, and earthquakes in divers places." Yet, how lucky I am to live in a promised land, in a country of relative peace. I am grateful to live in the dispensation of the fulness of times and in a day of God "pouring down knowledge from heaven" where technology is ever increasing. I am blessed to be able breathe and see, to enjoy a loving family, to prosper in a free land, and to thrive in gospel learning and application. This year, I embarked on a modest exercise and diet regimen. In the fall, I was called to be the Seminary teacher for the high school students in our branch. This teaching opportunity has encouraged me to study the scriptures more diligently. Next year, I hope to make even more personal improvements.
1) I started teaching Adult Class Piano and Sight-singing at church in the beginning of the year. The piano students performed their recital at my house for Thanksgiving. It was a great ending for this class. 2) Due to my vocal problem, I decided to quit teaching group piano that I loved so much for the last 13 years. But I still volunteer to continue helping the MCCPTA as treasurer. 3) It’s great to see my private piano students' accomplishments after a whole year of hard work in winning their piano awards from the America National Piano Guild. Molly Carbonell earned her Sonata Plaque International Level and 7th year National award. Alex Carbonell earned his Sonatina Plaque International Level and 7th year of National award. Henri Ly and Andy Huang earned their National awards. 4) Taking the challenge to accompany two Chinese choruses for over a year now, I have had a great opportunity to meet Chinese people in this great DC Metropolitan area.
This year was great for our little family :) I had the great opportunity to start teaching violin and piano to kids in the neighborhood and also babysitting. I am so grateful to be able to help and get to know the people in our neighborhood more. We've also gone on lots of fun trips this year including Hawaii, Disneyland, San Francisco, Denver, and Zion's National Park. Henry started a new job that he loves at Intermountain Healthcare as a data analyst. Blake is learning lots of new words and is showing a lot of personality. He is a great joy to take care of :)
In the spring, I graduated from Brigham Young University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science with an Animation emphasis. Since the beginning of the year, I have been working as a database manager on the mormon.org web site for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I was able to sneak in a trip to Cancun earlier this year.
In May I had the amazing opportunity to perform with the BYU Wind Symphony as we traveled to Mongolia, South Korea, and Japan, an experience I will never forget. Upon returning, I've been studying non-stop, running the BYU Marching Band's social media, getting accepted into the Mechanical Engineering major, grading students' history essays, working at the band office, having the time of my life. Personal highlights include finally making it down to Utah's national parks, watching General Conference in person, cheering with the marching band in Las Vegas, and seeing Lang Lang perform in concert.


I have passed from one world to another and it's been the best ride of my life! I miss Australia so much, but I am glad to say that I was able to fulfill the mission that Heavenly Father wanted me to fulfill. I cannot say I had an easy mission, but it was definitely the best thing that's ever happened to me. It's quite strange being home, but I know Heavenly Father has another mission for me! It's been wonderful to see my family and friends again, and I cannot wait to see what He has in store for me in the upcoming year. I know as we all continue to press forward with faith and trust in Him, we'll continue to be lead, guided, and molded into who He knows we can become. Merry Christmas everyone!
I am through with my middle school life and now stuck as a freshman. Eighth grade ended memorably with a formal promotion and a field trip to Kings Dominion. The summer had long waits, but I settled for a trip to Illinois and Virginia Beach. Now in high school, I'm used to the crowds, schedules, classes, and working on getting used to the people. Harp has always been an extra homework, but I still love playing it. Thanksgiving has been a huge relief with the shadow of Christmas enticingly following up. This year has been quite different from what I'm used to, but it turned out just fine!


We wish each of you prosperity and happiness and peace throughout this coming year.

Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year!

The Tsai family,
Ben, Li-Fang, Jessica and Henry and Blake, Jonathan, Joshua, Melinda, and Megan



親愛的家人與朋友們:

二零壹五慶又升, 四月致琦學有成, 六月首辦音樂會, 致涵即待高中生;
維州海灘暑氣消, 伊利諾州將弟訪, 印第安那聖殿行, 致慧傳道終還鄉。


我們生活在一個 “戰爭,戰爭的風聲。”然而,多麼幸運,我生活在一個應許之地,和平的國家。我很感謝生活在豐滿福音的時代,從天上知識傾瀉無疑,其中的技術也在不斷提高。我很幸運有一個充滿愛的家庭,在自由的土地並在福音學習和應用上能蓬勃發展。今年,我改善適度的運動和飲食養生之道。現任高中學生的福音進修班教師。這樣的教學機會,鼓勵我要更加努力學習經文。
1)今年初在教堂開班教成人級鋼琴和視唱。鋼琴學生在我家過感恩節並表演成果。 2)由於聲帶問題,我決定捨去十三年鍾愛的課後鋼琴班教學,但我仍為MCCPTA當財務。 3)很高興看到鋼琴學生一年來辛勤練琴榮獲美國全國鋼琴協會贏得他們的鋼琴獎的成就。Molly Carbonell earned her Sonata Plaque International Level and 7th year National award. Alex Carbonell earned his Sonatina Plaque International Level and 7th year of National award. Henri Ly and Andy Huang earned their National awards. 4)為兩個華人合唱團伴奏一年來收穫很多。
我有個很棒的小家庭:) 我有很好的機會開始在家教附近的小朋友小提琴和鋼琴,有爾也當當臨時保姆。我很高興能幫助別人也有機會認識更多的鄰人。我們今年去了很多地方包括夏威夷,迪士尼樂園,舊金山,丹佛,和錫安國家公園。政哲熱愛他的新工作, 彥承學習很多新詞,並成長出特有的個性。照顧他是一件特喜悅和有趣的事:)
我年初畢業於楊百翰大學電腦科學與動畫學士學位。我有幸能在畢業後馬上被後期聖徒耶穌基督教會一個數據庫管理錄用並開始在年初為mormon.org網站工作。年初和朋友去墨西哥坎昆旅遊。
今年五月,我有難得的機會與楊百翰大學交響樂團去蒙古,韓國和日本巡迴演出,這個經驗我永遠都不會忘記。回國後,為轉系而不停讀書,因參加楊百翰大學樂隊和現有的兩個校園工作: 音樂歷史助教和樂團秘書. 所剩時間十分有限. 讀得好辛苦. 皇天不負苦心人我終於轉系成功進入機械工程系。今年值得一提的是自己去了猶他州的國家公園 、現場觀看總會教友大會 、與在拉斯維加斯舉行的遊行樂隊一同歡呼 、去看郎朗在音樂演奏會。
我經歷從一個世界到另一個的大轉變,也是我的生命中最美好的經驗!我非常想念澳大利亞,但我也很高興能不辱使命履行天父要我去完成的事。雖然那不是一個很容易的傳教經驗,但這些經驗發生在我身上的確實我一生中最美好的事。剛回家時真的很不習慣,但我知道天父還有其他任務要我去完成!再次見到家人和朋友真的很棒 ! 我很好奇想知道在新的一年天父為我儲藏著甚麼會讓我驚喜的事。我知道只要我們大家都繼續向前推進,憑著信心並信賴祂,祂將繼續引領,指導,並塑造我們, 使我們可以成為祂要造就的人。 大家聖誕快樂!
漫過了中學生活,現是高一新生。初中結束的挺難忘的,很棒的畢業典禮和旅行。漫長的夏季是最無難的等待,去了一趟伊利諾斯州和弗吉尼亞海灘還不錯。進入高中漸漸習慣熙熙攘攘的人群,時間表,課程和作業。豎琴一直是一個額外的功課,不過我還滿喜歡的。感恩節是忙碌課業中最大的慰藉可以輕鬆一下,接著就是欣喜以待的聖誕節。這是一個與往年最不同多變的一年,不過我已經習慣了就好!


祝您闔家平安


聖誕快樂!新年快樂!


蔡家庭
格文、麗芳、致潔及政哲和彥承、致琦、致賢、致慧、致涵



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Holidays 2023

中文版在英文版的下面 ↓↓↓ Dear family and friends, This year, many in our family had the opportunity to visit Taiwan. 2023 for our family included the newest baby, the passing away of a matriarch, and a blissful retirement. Li-Fang and I now have 6 beautiful grandchildren. We are grateful for family relations and blessings. Happy new year! We really enjoyed the visits from our two older daughters and their children. After Megan also came home for a month, we commenced a cross-country drive to Utah and California. We visited my brother, Tim, and his family, and San Francisco. Then we flew to Taiwan for a 2-week around-the-island tour, in which we visited over 100 people in over 50 places. By the way I retired from federal government service. While I do miss the amazing opportunities at NIST and the wonderful friends I made there, I am relishing my retirement, still teaching part-time at Montgomery College, keeping busier than before with more service, physical, and social a

Taiwan Island Trip: Part II

On Day 8, Brother Chen came again to pick us up to Brother Ge Guanping’s house in the morning. After treating us to dumplings and fruit, Brother Hu Rang, his neighbor, came over. We talked, took group pictures, and took a tour of the backyard orchard and the other four houses. They had built and planned their five houses to be built together. Brother Chen took us to the Shou Feng train station. We rode the train to Pingtung, where Li-Fang’s classmate, Li Guiyun, picked us up to her house. On Day 9, Li-Fang's friend took us to tour the Six Tribe Hakka Cultural Center. After lunch, she drove us to the Pingtung train station. We rode the train to the Tainan. After checking in at our AirBnb, we rode a taxi to visit Li-Fang’s aunt and her second cousin, Zheng Xiang. On Day 10, we met with our friend, Jobie Li. She drove us to Li-Fang’s dad’s columbarium to see his urn. We also went to the Tainan Confucius Temple and ate a very busy mall food court. Then she dropped us off at

Taiwan Island Trip: Part 1

We flew from San Franciso to South Korea, and then to Taiwan. At the Incheon Airport, we had a layover of about five hours. So we took our time to eat pho and to make origami silk squares at the cultural center. When we arrived at the Taoyuan Airport, the Chou's were waiting for us and ready to drive us to their home. On Day 2 of the Taiwan Island Trip, we ate a breakfast of meat cakes and fish soup with Vincent and Jean Chou. Then their whole family of 8 tooks in their minivan for a drive-by tour of Tsinghua University and TSMC. Then we toured the National Palace Museum, including an audio tour. Next, we enjoyed lunch at the museum restaurant. They drove us to the Taipei Temple Patron Housing. On Day 3, we attended the Taipei Temple. Jean and Vincent Chou joined us at the Temple. We also met President Carl Liang and Brother Fu'an Tsai. Afterwards, we were surprised to see the Pascual family outside the temple waiting for us. After lunch, they took us to Bali, whic